Thursday 3 May 2012

AdWord Support and Display Network Experimenting

I wrote a couple of days ago that I had run into a problem with my ads with some trademark issues. I wrote to AdWords support regarding the problem with the word "buzz." To my surprise, they responded pretty fast and looked into the issue. I of course could and did use another word in my ad to keep it running, but my intentions were feedback oriented. After I wrote to them they responded and solved the issue in very fast pace, which made me pretty happy. I think it's pretty amazing that they can respond to problems, even minor ones such as this, this quickly and resolve the issue with ease. Support I believe is one of the most important aspects of user experience.

Since I'm still in the process of experimenting with thousands of combinations of options and possibilities in AdWords, I decided to opt in to showing my ads in "Display Network." This is basically the option to show your ads in websites that use AdChoices. This of course, I found, has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is you can target very specifically and you get to use that sites traffic to show your ads. The latter is also one of the disadvantages, you get to show your ads to so many people not looking for something, your click through rate hits the floor. But the tool tip explains that it's totally normal for display network ads to have a low CTR. The trick I think is to place the ads only in relevant sites you choose and not have automatic placement options which shows your ads everywhere somehow related to your keywords. Another disadvantage is, if the website you chose have mostly frequent visitors, you may not get any click at all after sometime. So what I'm going to do is, once I get a few clicks from that website, I'm going to move to a new one.

In short, I'm probably going to use this challenge period to experiment with AdWords but in a way that I can secure a good number of clicks whatever options I choose to use. Because there really is a number of ways to get those clicks, which is really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment