Tuesday 1 May 2012

Ad reviews

Our first problems with AdWords was when one of our ads was suspended due to a trademark use. The word that caused suspension was "Silk Road." I had no idea that such a historical term would be trademarked and I'm still not sure if it even is. After changing the adtext though, the suspension was lifted really fast. I was thankful for that.

Our second problem was with another trademark. This time the term was much more common: "buzz." Now I know even Google had a product called Buzz, but it's kind of weird that a common word which is used in lowercase letters classifies as a trademark. Thankfully the suspension on the ad was lifted when I changed that word as well.

Of course there are probably reasons for this kind of suspensions caused by trademark usage. But a feature could be implemented so that there's a warning when you might be breaking a specific rule or there might be trademark issues with that word or phrase. I'm not suggesting that this feature is critical or the way it is now is really bad. Because to be fair the email notification is pretty fast for a system on this scale. I'm simply suggesting that this feature would be pretty nice for beginners like myself. And with the pace that Google is improving AdWords, I believe we can expect something like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment